How to use Breakout Rooms in Zoom
Let’s say you’re teaching a large class, and you have an exercise you’d like your students to participate in. If you want the exercise to be collaborative, it will be very difficult to pull off with a large classroom because many students won’t get a chance to contribute.
That’s where the Zoom Breakout Rooms feature comes in to play. Breakout Rooms allows the Zoom host to split up the meeting in to smaller groups. As the zoom host, you can decide the size of each group, you can manually select the specific participants you’d like to join each group, and you can send messages to each group for updates.
This is a really helpful feature for any learning environment, so if you’d like to take advantage of this neat tool, let’s show you how!
- Login to your Zoom Account at https://zoom.us/signin
- Click on the “Settings” tab. It is located on the left hand side of your screen in the “Personal” section.
- You will see another menu in the middle of your screen. Click on “Meeting”, then click “In Meeting (Advanced)”.
- Switch the “Breakout Room” toggle to the on position
- Now that you’ve changed your settings to allow Breakout rooms, Launch your Zoom Meeting in the Zoom application.
- Once you’re in your meeting, click “Breakout Rooms” at the bottom of your screen.
- Select the number of Breakout rooms you’d like
- If you’d like to randomly split the participants up, select “Automatically” and “Create Breakout Rooms”.
- If you’d like to choose which participants go to which room, select “Manually” and “Create Breakout Rooms”
- Click the “Assign” button to add specific participants to each room.
- Check the box for each participant you’d like to add to the room.
- Click “Open All Rooms”
- Your participants will now invited to join their breakout rooms.