How to Unbid on eBay?
eBay is an online marketplace where you can buy all your favorite products at affordable prices. In eBay, you can bid on a product you want to either sell or purchase. However, eBay mostly discourages users from withdrawing their bids, but sellers and buyers who have changed their minds and meet eBay’s requirements can withdraw a bid on eBay.
How to Unbid on eBay: Buyers
If you place a bid on an item on eBay, you cannot easily unbid and you are committed to buying that item. However, you can withdraw your bid if you satisfy some criteria. E.g. If the seller has changed the description of the item significantly, you can unbid. Other circumstances where you can unbid are:
- If you accidentally bid the wrong amount.
- If the seller seems unreachable after the auction.
You can retract bids if there are 12 hours or more left before the listing ends. However, if there are less than 12 hours before the listing ends, then you can retract your most recent bid if it has been under one hour since you placed it. You can contact the seller directly and explain why you want to withdraw the bid.
Follow the steps mentioned below to cancel a bid:
- Open eBay on your web browser. Click on “Help.”
- Then, click on “Retracting a bid”.
- Select the item that you want to unbid.
- Select a reason for retracting your bid.
Retracting Buyer’s Bid on eBay
Under specific cases, sellers can also retract a bid on eBay. However, it isn’t recommended unless it is necessary to do so. Sellers can retract a bid if their listing contains an error or if they feel that the buyer is not legitimate.
- Click on “Selling” under the “My eBay” tab.
- Then, click on “Canceling bids and managing bidders” followed by the “Cancel a Bid” tab.
- Click the item that you would like to retract a bid on.
- Then, fill out the bid cancellation form and indicate an appropriate reason for retracting the bid.
Consequences of Retracting Bids
In case, unbidding on eBay has become a ritual for you, you might have to face some dire consequences. E.g., if a seller cancels too many bids, the account may become limited or suspended. Similarly, buyers who unbid quite often may have their account suspended either temporarily or permanently. Therefore, it is recommended to unbid only if it is necessary.