How to Remove a Virus from your iPhone
iOS is particularly effective at preventing your iPhone from getting infected with a virus. However, that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t happen. If your iPhone get’s infected with a malicious virus, there are a number of ways to try to remove the virus from your iPhone. We’ve outline 4 effective strategies for removing a virus from your iPhone below. Feel free to give each one a try!
Restart your iPhone
One of the easiest, but most effective ways to get rid of a virus on your iPhone is to restart it. To restart your iPhone, simply hold down the power knob on the right side of your iPhone until the power toggle appears on your screen. When you see the power toggle, swipe it to the right. When your phone has shut completely off, press the power knob again to turn it back on.
Restore your Phone from a Previous Backup Version
An effective way to remove a virus from your iPhone is to restore it to a previous version. By restoring your iPhone to a previous version, you can potentially restore it to a version that did not have the virus.
Clear the Browsing History
One of the most common ways to get a virus is to click on a malicious link while browsing. If so, the virus could still be stored on your browser, so the best way to get rid of the virus is to clear your browsing history. The two most common browsers for iPhone users are Safari and Chrome. We’ve detailed out step by step how to clear your browsing history for both browsers below:
How to Clear your Browsing History on Safari:
1. Open the settings app
2. Scroll down until you’re able to find ‘Safari’ and tap on it.
3. Tap the ‘Clear History and Website Data’ button. It will appear near the bottom of the screen.
4. Select ‘Clear History and Data’ when you are prompted to confirm your decision.
How to Clear your Browsing History on Chrome:
1. Open the Chrome app
2. Tap the menu button. It’s located in the lower right hand corner of your screen.
3. Select History
4. Select ‘Clear Browsing History’
5. Select the time range you’d like to clear. It will be located in the upper right hand corner of your screen. If you’d like to clear everything, select ‘All Time’.
6. Select data you’d like to clear. Go back, and select which sources of information you’d like to clear by tapping on each row. For example, if you’d only like to clear your browsing history, select the first row labeled ‘Browsing History’.
7. Tap ‘Clear browsing data’ It will be located at the bottom of your screen.
Reset your Content and Settings
Only use this option as a final option. The reason that you should try all three other options first, is that resetting your content and settings will erase all of your iPhone data. If you choose this option, be sure to back everything up before proceeding. If you’re ready to proceed, follow the steps below to reset your content and settings:
1. Tap ‘Settings’.
2. Tap ‘General’
3. Tap ‘Reset’
4. Tap ‘Erase All Content and Settings’
5. If you have not backed up your data, tap ‘Finish Uploading Then Erase’. If you are ready to Erase, tap ‘Erase’.
6. You’re done!
Browse by Category