How to Open a Zip File
A zip file is a file that contains one or more compressed files. In order to open those files, you’ll have to follow a few steps. Read below to get a step by step process to open a zip file on a Mac, Windows 10, iPhone, or Android device:
How to Open a zip file on a Mac
Opening a zip file on a Mac is quite easy. Here are the 3 steps required to open a zip file on a Mac:
1. Open the Finder application in your Mac
2. Locate your zip file. Search through your folders to find the Zip file you’d like to open. It should be located in your downloads folder, unless you’ve moved the file elsewhere. It will have ‘.zip’ at the end of the file name.
3. Double-Click the file. Once you’ve double clicked the file, the file extraction process will start. Upon completion, you’ll be taken to all of the extracted files within the zip file.
How to Open a zip file in Windows 10
Opening a zip file in Windows 10 requires a bit more effort. Here are the 4 steps required to open a zip file in Windows 10:
1. Find the zip file you’d like to open, and right click on the file.
2. Select the ‘Extract All’ option.
3. Click ‘OK’. You will be prompted to select a location to store your extracted files. Once you’ve selected your file location, click ‘OK’.
4. Click ‘Extract’. You will be prompted to extract the files, so click the ‘Extract’ button.
5. You’re finished!
How to Open a zip file on an iPhone
If you’d like to see a preview of the zip file, simply tap the zip file and select ‘Preview content’. This will show you a preview version of the file you’d like to see. However, if you’d like uncompress the actual file itself, follow these steps:
1. Open the files application on your iPhone
2. Locate the zip file you’d like to open
3. Tap the zip file
4. A folder will be created containing the actual files.
5. You’re done!
How to Open a zip file on an Android device
1. Open the files application.
2. Find the zip file and tap it.Unless you’ve already moved the file to another location, it should be under the ‘Downloads’ folder.
3. Select the ‘Extract’ option
4. Click on the folder. The files have been extracted, so click on the folder again to see all of your extracted files.
5. You’re done!