How to Cancel a Venmo Payment
Venmo has become the go-to payment app. It’s extremely easy to make every day payments like splitting groceries with a roommate, or paying someone back for a restaurant bill.
But what if you made a mistake in a payment, such as paying the wrong amount or person? That depends entirely on the status of the account you’re sending money to. Here are the two scenarios:
- Active Account: If you paid someone who has an active account, there’s no quick fix. You’ll have to reach out to Venmo Customer Support or you’ll have send a request to the person you sent the money to.
- Inactive Account: If you paid someone with an inactive account, there is a quick and easy way to get your money back (see below).
How to Cancel a Venmo Payment to an Inactive Account
- Open your Venmo App
- Tap the menu icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- Tap the “Incomplete” row. If you’ve made a payment to an inactive account, you should see a small red notification symbol within the row (like below).
- Tap “Payments”
- Tap “Take back”. If you do not see the “Take back” option here, it is likely because the money you’ve sent over was to an active account. You’ll have to reach out to Venmo Customer Support or you’ll have send a request to the person you sent the money to.
- Your payment is cancelled